The Times 

PIONEER PORTRAITS

 

Ten Years Ago

June 20, 2013

Though their numbers have declined over the years, the dedication and patriotism of Waitsburg's American Legion members has not. Current club members, mostly World War II vets, are hoping younger generations of men and women will join them in their quest to support veterans and families. One of Waitsburg's oldest service clubs, the Samuel W. Southard Post #35 was chartered in August 1919. The post was named in honor of 23-year-old Samuel W. Southard, the first Waitsburg serviceman to make the supreme sacrifice in World War I, in 1918. In 1921, a large group of Waitsburg citizens donated personal funds of $6,000 to buy a meeting place for the Legion. They purchased a hotel building that was located between Main and Coppei, near what is now the Waitsburg Business Center. After being destroyed by fire in 1928, the $5,000 insurance payout was used to build a new Hall on Main Street.

Twenty-Five Years Ago

June 25, 1998

[Photo Caption] Ryan Leid, left, and Randy Hinchliffe, right, pose with coach Jim Sharkey following the East-West All State Classic last weekend. Leid and Hinchliffe both played a significant amount of time, helping the East to a 17-3 win. Drew Sharkey joined the trio for the photo.

Fifty Years Ago

June 21, 1973

Awards for participation in the various activities at Waitsburg High School were presented at an awards assembly during the early part of June. Guy McCaw was named outstanding citizen of the high school. This was only the first in a long list of hardware picked up by Guy. He was named honorary basketball captain, inspirational award and rebounding champ; he was recognized for average total point award in each track meet; a member of the state's number 2 mile relay team; top hitter (.452) top pitcher (4-3) and inspirational award for baseball. Marshall Maib won the boys' ping pong championship and Susan Saranovich won the title for the girls. Ron Jensen was top chess champ. Mrs. Wayne Henderson presented a teddy bear and a certificate to Chris LaRue, son of Mr. and Mrs. David LaRue, showing that he had satisfactorily completed a course in child development. Jim Callahan and Dick Largent received the sportsmanship trophy for basketball, and Largent also got the free throw trophy.

Seventy-Five Years Ago

June 25, 1948

Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Stonecipher have moved into their new country home above the J. D. Stonecipher ranch.

The Waitsburg Garden Club held a picnic – wiener roast at the J. W. Carson home Wednesday evening. A huge bonfire was built on the Touchet Riverbank and members gathered around the fire as they roasted wieners and marshmallows during the evening.

Miss Doris Anne Burch and Richard Saunders were united in marriage on June 11. Miss Mary Muirhead and Elie Ganguet were married June 12.

One Hundred Years Ago

June 19, 1923

Miss Alma May Howard of Wallula and Mr. Karl Casey of Attalia were quietly married Saturday afternoon, June 23 at Walla Walla.

T. S. Teeter – well-known farmer of this locality who is on the Mack Taylor ranch, out Wilson Hollow, has purchased the W. G. Shuham residence property on West Fifth Street and he and his family will reside there at least during the school year.

W. B. Parker of Spokane, spent several days in this locality this week visiting relatives and old friends. Billy is a former Waitsburg boy and still has many friends here.

One Hundred Twenty-Five Years Ago

July 1, 1898

Profs. J. A. Keener, R. M. Horner, Leland Wilson, and Gaston Wilson are spending this week rusticating in the Blue Mountains above Thayer's Mill.

Not less than 2500 people attended camp-meeting at Shiloh last Sunday. The day was very pleasant and from early in the morning a continuous stream of people poured in there.

Frank McCown and J. W. Bruce returned from their trip to their mining interests near Republic on last Saturday afternoon. They were accompanied home by James Walker.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2024