DAYTON — Mayor Michael Smith called the Dayton City Council to order at 6 p.m. on August 11, 2026. Council members present in the conference room were Shannon McMillen, James Su’euga, Glenn Hagfeldt, Joann Patras, Jeff Keating, and Dave Harvey. Kyle Anderson was not present.
During public comment, Deanna Peterson said she moved to Dayton last year with her husband. They chose to invest in the community because it’s a small town and they liked its character. The sense of neighborliness and peaceful environment make Dayton such a special place to live. However, she said the city’s noise ordinance allows loud music between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. Peterson said the loud bass makes it impossible for neighbors to enjoy their homes.
Peterson said she tried unsuccessfully to resolve the situation on her own. She asked the council to revise the noise ordinance to help reduce disturbances for residents in Dayton. She brought copies of noise ordinances from other towns in Eastern Washington as examples.
Next, Peterson raised the issue of the speed limit sign on East Washington Street, as its location makes it difficult to see. Later in the meeting, Public Works Director Ryan Paulson said he would move the sign.
Dayton resident Candyce Conley requested the city designate truck routes to avoid narrow residential streets, specifically Washington Avenue.
The consent agenda contained administrative items and was approved by the City Council.
The council authorized the mayor to renew the annual contract with the Municipal Research and Services Center. This allows the city to engage in some transactions without going through the public bid process if it uses authorized consultants and vendors. This process can be used for contracts of $350,000 and below.
Mayor Smith announced that Columbia County Transportation will have a public hearing on its 4-year transportation plan on August 27 at 2 p.m. at its office on Cameron Street.
At the next city council workshop, topics to be discussed will include truck routes, the noise ordinance, levee repairs, and perhaps e-bikes.
Paulson wanted to clarify the letter included in some residents’ water bills regarding backflow devices. Paulson said the letter was purely for information.
Regarding the vintage military vehicle convoy, Paulson said several members of the convoy told him that they have never had a community come out the way Dayton did. They also said they’ve never had the coordination they had in Dayton, and that it was the best welcome they’ve had in 18 years of running convoys.
Paulson also said the city received a grant from a national organization to put up a 4’ X 8’ information sign about the levee and flood control. The sign is expected to be placed near the restrooms next to Flour Mill Park.
The meeting adjourned at 7 p.m. to hold a public hearing regarding the 6-year transportation improvement program. The new program includes the Main Street Safety Action Plan. Some figures were corrected. After some discussion between Paulson and the council members, the public hearing was adjourned with no public comment.
The regular meeting was reopened, and the transportation plan was approved without dissent.
The regular meeting adjourned for the second time at about 7:20 p.m.
Reader Comments(0)