The Times - Serving Waitsburg, Dayton and the Touchet Valley

the Times 

Local resources available


April 16, 2020

Project Timothy (509) 382-2943: 

Financial assistance for rent, utilities, and food can be provided to those of you that have been negatively affected by the COVID-19 crisis. At our request, the Blue Mountain Community Foundation has awarded a special grant to Project Timothy just for this purpose—to serve the members of our community who don’t usually ask for help. Project Timothy has “phone” hours Tuesday - Friday from noon to 2 p.m. You can call for assistance and then a volunteer will arrange to meet with you individually as needed at their office downtown. This is a no-judgement zone. Please ask for help if you need it. Business owners—please let any employees you laid off know about this assistance.

Feed a Friend, Text (206) 399-8233: 

The Dayton Columbia County Fund is generously providing funds to local restaurants so they can provide meals for someone in need - whether it is a family that is truly hungry or just someone who had a bad day or is working in the COVID-19 emergency trenches. This effort helps our local businesses stay afloat and our community stay healthy and happy. Vicki Zoller is coordinating this service. If you know of someone who could use a meal or a pick-me-up, send her a text at the number above or email

Columbia County Food Bank  (Tuesdays from 2 - 4 p.m. now at the Columbia County Fairgrounds - drive by pick-up) 

The Blue Mountain Action Council Food Bank serves a large region, including Columbia County, and additional resources are being moved throughout the region in order to serve the same population I mentioned above - those that don’t usually need help. Don’t be afraid to take advantage of this resource if you need it!

Domestic Violence Crisis Line (509) 529-9922 : Domestic violence can escalate in times of stress. Please call for help if you need it. Or visit: 

Columbia County Public Health (509) 382-2181: 

The federal government has increased the availability of SNAP food assistance for anyone in need, and the State of Washington is allowing new sign-ups for the Washington Health Benefit Exchange if you need health insurance. You can sign up for these programs, plus others like the Women, Infants, and Children program (WIC), through our local public health office. Call the number above for assistance.

Aging and Long Term Care (509) 382-4787: 

The local office can help connect seniors via telephone with the services they need. They will even help with online applications if the person in need doesn’t have a computer. Watching out for our elders during this crisis is important, so please check on your neighbors and make sure they have this number if they need assistance.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 07/22/2020 06:42