The Times - Serving Waitsburg, Dayton and the Touchet Valley

By Ken Graham
The Times 

Congregational Church Celebrates 140 Years

Congregationalists have been worshiping here since Dayton's first decade

 

September 21, 2017

Courtesy Photo

The Dayton First Congregational Church in the early 20th Century, before the education building was built.

DAYTON – Members and friends of the Dayton First Congregational Church held a celebration following last Sunday's service to honor the 140th anniversary of the church's founding. The historic Rev. Cushing Eells bell in the church's steeple was rung during worship.

The Congregational Church is one of Dayton's first churches. According to a history provided by church officials, a group of Congregationalists began meeting in Dayton in 1877, led by Rev. E.W. Allen, a local farmer. This was only a decade after the first white settlers reached the area, and four years before the city's incorpor...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017

Rendered 12/11/2017 19:36